Being “high” refers to a state of altered consciousness and perception, typically caused by drug use. While it can be a pleasurable experience for some individuals, others may feel anxious, paranoid, or overwhelmed. Regardless of how you feel when you’re high, it’s important to know how to come down from it.
In this article, we’ll discuss various methods you can use to reduce the effects of high, so you can feel more like yourself again.
Deep Breathing Exercises
Deep breathing is a simple but effective technique for reducing anxiety, stress, and other unpleasant feelings associated with high. When you take deep breaths, you activate your parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for calming your body down.
Here’s how to do deep breathing exercises:
- Find a quiet and comfortable place to sit or lie down.
- Inhale deeply through your nose for 4 seconds, feeling your stomach expand with air.
- Hold your breath for 2 seconds.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth for 6 seconds, feeling your stomach contract.
- Repeat this cycle for at least 5 minutes.
You may find that you feel more relaxed and centered after practicing deep breathing exercises.
Drinking water is essential for staying healthy and feeling good, especially when you’re high. When you’re dehydrated, your body can’t function properly, which can exacerbate the negative effects of high.
Here are some tips for staying hydrated while you’re high:
- Drink water or other hydrating fluids before, during, and after you smoke or consume drugs.
- Avoid sugary or caffeinated beverages, which can dehydrate you further.
- Eat foods with high water content, such as fruits and vegetables.
- Consider using a humidifier to keep the air in your living space moist.
By staying hydrated, you can help your body flush out toxins and feel better overall.
Exercise is another effective way to come down from high. When you exercise, your body releases endorphins, which are natural mood-boosters. Additionally, exercise can help increase blood flow, speed up your metabolism, and improve your overall sense of well-being.
Here are some types of exercise you can do to reduce high:
- Cardiovascular exercise, such as running, biking, or brisk walking
- Yoga or other stretching exercises
- Strength training with weights or resistance bands
Even just a short walk around the block can help you feel more grounded and centered.
Eating a Meal or Snack
Food can also help reduce the effects of high, particularly if you’re feeling lightheaded or dizzy. Eating a balanced meal or snack can help regulate your blood sugar, which can in turn help you feel more stable and in control.
Here are some food choices that can help reduce high:
- Complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables
- Protein, such as lean meat, fish, tofu, or nuts
- Foods high in healthy fats, such as avocado or olive oil
- Foods with vitamin C, such as citrus fruits or bell peppers
Avoid consuming processed or junk food, which can make you feel worse in the long run.
Taking a Nap or Getting Rest
Sleep is crucial for maintaining good physical and mental health, and it can be especially helpful when you’re trying to come down from high. Taking a nap or getting rest can help your body reset and recover.
Here are some tips for getting better sleep while you’re experiencing high:
- Create a calming environment by dimming the lights and reducing noise.
- Avoid screens (such as your phone or computer) for at least an hour before bedtime.
- Try a relaxation technique, such as deep breathing or meditation.
- Avoid caffeine or other stimulants that can interfere with sleep.
Remember that everyone’s sleep needs are different, so listen to your body and rest as much as you need to.
In this article, we’ve discussed various methods you can use to reduce the effects of high, including deep breathing exercises, staying hydrated, exercising, eating a meal or snack, and taking a nap or getting rest.
Also, remember that everyone responds differently to different methods, so it’s important to experiment and see what works best for you.
By practicing these methods, you can feel more in control of your high and reduce any unpleasant side effects.