Do you struggle with a mattress that’s too soft or has lost its firmness over time? A lack of support can result in uncomfortable sleep and leave you feeling tired and achy the next morning. Fortunately, there are several ways to enhance the firmness of your mattress without spending a fortune. In this article, we’ll explore five key methods to make your mattress firmer and improve the quality of your sleep.
How to Make Your Mattress Firmer with Plywood
Plywood is a simple and cost-effective way to address a sagging or soft mattress. Here’s how to use it:
- Measure the dimensions of your mattress and purchase a sheet of plywood that is slightly larger than the bed.
- Remove the bedding and gently lift the mattress off the box spring.
- Place the plywood on the box spring and center it evenly.
- Replace the mattress on top of the plywood and secure the bedding.
Note: It’s best to use plywood that is at least ¾ inch thick to offer adequate support. Additionally, ensure that the plywood is cut to the proper size and free of splinters for maximum safety and comfort.
While using plywood is a simple way to create a firmer sleeping surface, it does come with a few potential downsides. For example, plywood can cause the mattress to feel harder than desired, and it may not correct underlying issues such as worn-out coils or padding. Additionally, it can be challenging to move the plywood and mattress once they’re in place. Nonetheless, many people find it to be an effective solution.
The Top 5 Mattress Toppers to Increase Firmness
If you prefer a softer mattress but still want added support, a mattress topper might be your best bet. Here are the top-rated options:
- Tempur-Pedic PRObreeze Mattress Topper
- ViscoSoft 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
- LUCID 4-Inch Down Alternative and Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- PlushBeds Natural Latex Topper
- Parachute Down Alternative Mattress Topper
Each of these toppers is designed to provide additional cushioning and support, and they come in a range of materials, sizes, and thicknesses, so you can find one that suits your preferences. Some of the key factors to consider include price, durability, and the type of material used. Customer reviews can also help you understand the pros and cons of each topper.
Exercises to Help You Sleep Better and Make Your Mattress Firmer
Your sleep quality can also be affected by your body’s overall strength and flexibility. Here are a few easy exercises to incorporate in your routine:
- Back stretches: Lie flat on your back and bend your knees. Bring one knee up to your chest, hold for a few seconds, then lower and repeat with the other leg.
- Bridge pose: Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Slowly lift your hips off the floor, keeping your shoulders and feet in place. Hold for a few seconds and then release.
- Child’s pose: Kneel on the floor and sit back on your heels. Stretch your arms forward and rest your forehead on the ground. Hold for a few breaths.
These exercises can help loosen up tight muscles and improve your range of motion, leading to a more comfortable night’s sleep. Additionally, incorporating yoga or other forms of low-impact exercise into your routine can also help reduce stress and promote deeper sleep.
5 Household Items That Can Make Your Mattress Firmer
If you don’t have access to plywood or a mattress topper, you can try using household items to enhance the firmness of your mattress. Here are five options to consider:
- Towels: Roll up several towels and place them under the sagging part of the mattress.
- Cardboard: Cut pieces of cardboard to size and place them under the mattress.
- Pillows: Use pillows to prop up the mattress and provide additional support.
- Comforters: Fold a comforter or duvet in half and place it under the mattress.
- Memory foam: Use a lightweight memory foam pad on top of the mattress to create a firmer surface.
While these solutions are not as reliable as using plywood or a mattress topper, they can be a good temporary fix. Keep in mind that some of these materials may compress over time, so you’ll need to periodically check and replace them as necessary.
Sleep Solutions: How to Make Your Mattress Firmer Without Buying a New One
If you’re hesitant to invest in a new mattress or simply don’t have the funds, there are other ways to create a firmer sleeping surface. Here are a few DIY solutions:
- Use a mattress pad: A mattress pad can offer additional cushioning and support, and it’s usually less expensive than a full mattress. Consider one with a firmer construction and breathable fabric.
- Flip the mattress: Some mattresses can be flipped over to give the other side a chance to recover. This can help even out the wear and tear and provide a firmer surface to sleep on.
- Replace worn-out box springs: If the problem is with the foundation rather than the mattress itself, replacing the box spring or foundation can create a firmer base.
While these solutions may not solve every issue, they can be a helpful interim measure until you’re able to purchase a new mattress.
Having a soft or sagging mattress can be frustrating and lead to poor sleep quality. However, there are several simple and cost-effective methods to enhance the firmness of your mattress and improve your sleep. From using plywood to trying mattress toppers, you can choose the method that works best for your needs and preferences. Don’t resign yourself to sleepless nights- try one of these strategies and wake up feeling refreshed and energized.