Have you ever wanted to impress your friends with a paper toy they’ve never seen before? Or maybe you just need a fun way to pass the time? The classic paper popper is the perfect solution! However, learning how to make paper poppers can seem like a challenging task. That’s why we’ve created this step-by-step guide, video tutorial, and more, to help you make the perfect paper popper every time.
Start with a rectangular piece of paper, then fold it in half lengthwise. Next, fold the paper in half widthwise and then unfold it.
Take one corner of the paper and fold it to the center crease, making a triangle. Repeat with the other corner.
Flip the paper over and fold it in half lengthwise again. Open the paper up partially to create a flap and then tuck the flap into the pocket made by the two triangles. Crease the fold well.
Hold the popper by the folded end and then flick your wrist downward. This will cause the popper to make a loud popping sound.
You can also customize your paper popper by adding designs or colors to the outside.
For a more in-depth demonstration, check out our video tutorial:
Here are a few tips to help you make the perfect paper popper:
- Choose a piece of paper that is thin but not too flimsy. Regular printer paper works well.
- Fold the paper as accurately as possible to ensure a high-quality popper.
- Experiment with different folding techniques to create different styles of paper poppers.
- For added functionality, attach a string to the bottom of the popper.
History and Culture
While the origins of the paper popper are unknown, they have been around for many years and are enjoyed by people all around the world. Some cultures even use them in traditional celebration or religious ceremonies. They have also been featured in many movies and TV shows over the years. Despite their simple design, the paper popper has remained a popular toy for generations.
Variations on a Theme
Here are a few variations on the classic paper popper:
- Double Popper – This design creates two poppers in one. Follow the steps for the classic paper popper, but instead of tucking the flap into the pocket, fold it over the top and then fold the paper in half again, width-wise.
- Color Popper – Use colored paper or add color afterward by painting or drawing on the outside of the popper.
- Small Popper – Use smaller pieces of paper for a petite-sized popper. Use your pinky finger to make a smaller, but still loud pop.
Need more paper crafts to keep you busy? Check out these other easy projects:
- Origami animals
- Paper airplanes
- Fortune tellers
Once you’ve made your paper poppers, here’s a fun activity to try with friends:
Design and play a game of “Popper Tag”. The objective of the game is to try and touch another player with your popper. Once you hit them, they are “it” and the game continues. You can also change the rules and add variations as you see fit. Have fun!
The paper popper is truly a timeless toy with endless possibilities. Whether you make it for fun or for a special occasion, it’s sure to bring a smile to your face and impress your friends. With our step-by-step guide, video tutorial, and tips, you’ll be a pro in no time.