When selecting a new wallpaper, you may find it difficult to find the ideal pattern or shade that complements your furnishings and decor perfectly. That is where making your own wallpaper comes in! Not only do you have complete artistic freedom, but you can also craft a unique and personalized wallpaper that perfectly matches your style. With this guide, you can design any wallpaper of your choosing, regardless of your skill level or crafting experience.
The materials necessary for wallpaper production include wallpaper or liner paper, a ruler, scissors, a pencil, a painting brush, a wallpaper brush, wallpaper paste, and obviously, your creative input! Below are the step-by-step instructions for creating your wallpaper.
1. Get the dimensions of your wall– measure the height and width of your wall. Then, using the liner/wallpaper, create a template of your wall.
2. Start designing – make a draft or sketch on paper and work on details such as colors, textures, and patterns that you’d like to include. Some helpful tips include limiting the number of patterns used, considering scale, and using colors that complement your furnishings and decor.
3. Take the liner/wallpaper template and draw the design on it using the pencil.
4. Using the scissors, cut out the wallpaper along the pattern that you drew.
5. Book the wallpaper by enclosing it in a roll, as if you were folding a fabric. Allow it to sit for a while so that it becomes pliable.
6. Apply the wallpaper paste on the back of the wallpaper after it becomes pliable.
7. Place the wallpaper carefully on the wall, ensuring that the pattern lines up correctly.
8. Flatten the wallpaper outwards using the wallpaper brush. This helps to avoid any air bubbles forming.
DIY Wallpaper Kits
If you’re a novice, creating your wallpaper might be a little overwhelming. There are easy-to-use wallpaper kits available for beginners that provide you with all the necessary materials and resources to complete your wallpaper. Here is a simple step-by-step guide on how to use a kit:
1. Pick a kit that appeals to you, making sure the pattern aligns with your preference.
2. Purchase the wallpaper kit from your local store or online.
3. Follow the directions that come with the kit to create your wallpaper.
4. Customize your design using add-ons, color variations or other suggested design ideas.
Online Wallpaper Tools
Online wallpaper designing tools provide an easy and efficient method for creating your wallpaper. Some tools, including Canva and Adobe Spark, provide sleek and professional designs to choose from, while others allow for complete autonomy in designing your wallpaper. Here’s how to get started:
1. Choose an online wallpaper tool that appeals to you.
2. Select the appropriate size of the artwork based on the dimensions of your wall.
3. Customize your design utilizing a variety of styling options such as color, patterns, and images.
4. Once you have finished designing your wallpaper, save the digital file.
5. Use a transfer method (such as a projector) to locate the pattern on your wall. Once you have the design transferred onto your wall, follow the instructions outlined in the previous section to create your wallpaper.
Recycle and Reuse
Repurposing old materials or recycled paper for your wallpaper is an eco-friendly way to design your space. Here are a few ideas:
1. Visit thrift stores, yard sales or flea markets and purchase old books, magazines, maps, or records.
2. After obtaining your recycled materials, cut out the preferred sections and arrange them on your liner/wallpaper.
3. Apply the wallpaper paste to the liner/wallpaper and then attach the cutouts.
4. Place the wallpaper on the wall and press gently with a wallpaper brush.
Collaborative Wallpaper Design
Collaborating with family or friends on a wallpaper design is a fun and engaging activity for bonding and creating a unique product. Here are a few tips to make your group project work seamlessly:
1. Choose a theme that everyone in the group enjoys
2. Divide responsibilities based on your skill sets and work together on creating the final product
3. Set aside ample time to work together to ensure that everyone’s input is included
Wallpaper can be expensive, and the process of creating it can be time-consuming. There are several quick and easy methods for creating wallpaper using temporary materials such as removable wallpaper, fabric, or washi tape. Here are some hacks to try:
1. Washi Tape: Create a geometric or patterned design on your wall using Washi Tape to create an elegant and minimalist wallpaper design.
2. Removable Wallpaper: Using removable wallpaper is an excellent choice for those looking for a wallpaper option that is easy to remove and install.
Making your own wallpaper can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. There are many different ways to create a wallpaper design that is perfect for your space and personal style. This guide provides several methods to create your wallpaper, taking into account skill levels, styles, and budgets.