Squishmallows are soft, cuddly toys that have quickly become popular among children and adults alike. These plush characters come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, and colors, making them a fun addition to any collection. However, with frequent use comes frequent dirt, which can be a headache to clean properly if you don’t know what you’re doing. In this article, we’ll provide a step-by-step guide on how to wash your squishmallows without damaging them, so you can continue enjoying their squishy goodness for years to come.
Understanding the materials used in squishmallows
Most squishmallows are made from polyester and foam, which can be delicate and require gentle cleaning methods. Polyester can easily stain or shrink when exposed to harsh chemicals or high temperatures, so it’s important to avoid using them when washing your squishmallow. Foam, on the other hand, can deform or lose its shape if it gets too wet or is exposed to excessive heat.
How to wash a squishmallow by hand
The best way to wash a squishmallow is by hand. Follow these simple steps to ensure a proper and thorough cleaning:
First, remove any accessories or sound boxes from your squishmallow. Check for any stains or spots that need to be treated before washing. Fill a basin or sink with cold water and add a small amount of mild detergent.
Gently scrub the squishmallow all over, paying extra attention to any stained areas. Use a soft-bristled brush or cloth to avoid damaging the fabric or foam. Be sure not to use too much pressure to avoid deforming the toy.
Rinse the squishmallow thoroughly under cold running water, making sure all the soap suds are removed. You may need to rinse it several times to ensure it’s completely clean.
Gently press the squishmallow to remove excess water, then lay it on a clean towel to air-dry in a well-ventilated area. Avoid direct sunlight or heat sources as this could damage the toy.
Removing tough stains
Sometimes stains can be stubborn and require a bit more effort to remove. Here are some tips to help remove common squishmallow stains:
– For marker stains, try using rubbing alcohol or a specialized fabric stain remover.
– For chocolate or food stains, remove excess debris and gently dab the spot with a mixture of water and dish soap.
– For grass or dirt stains, try a combination of baking soda and water and apply to the spot, letting it sit for a few minutes before washing it off.
There are several drying methods you can use to dry your squishmallow after washing. Avoid using high heat or tumble drying as this can damage the foam and fabric.
– Air-drying: Lay your squishmallow on a towel and leave it in a well-ventilated area to dry naturally.
– Towel-drying: Wrap your squishmallow in a clean towel and gently press to remove excess water.
– Blow-drying: Use a cool setting on your hairdryer to gently dry your squishmallow, taking care not to use high heat or hold the dryer too close to the fabric.
To avoid frequent washing of your squishmallow, consider taking some preventative measures. Here are a few suggestions:
– Cover your squishmallow with a protective cover or pillowcase to keep it clean while not in use.
– Limit exposure to messy situations such as outdoor playtime or food-related activities.
– Follow any specific care instructions for special squishmallows, such as those with sound boxes or glitter accents.
How often to wash squishmallows and extend their lifespan
The frequency of washing your squishmallow depends on how often you use it and how dirty it gets. If it’s used frequently, you should aim to wash it every few weeks. If it has any stains or odors, it’s best to wash it right away. With proper care, squishmallows can last for years, making them a great investment for any toy collection.
Washing a squishmallow doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your squishmallow stays clean and pristine for many snuggles to come. Remember to avoid using harsh chemicals or high temperatures and be gentle when washing, rinsing, and drying. With proper care and attention, your squishmallow can bring joy and comfort for years to come.