How to Make Your Own Gum: A Step-by-Step Guide
Do you struggle to find gum that meets all of your requirements, whether it be the flavor, texture or ingredients? If so, you may want to consider making your own gum. Not only is it a fun and creative activity, but you also have control over the ingredients used, meaning you can create a natural, healthier option that suits your personal preferences.
Step-by-Step Recipe Guide
Before you begin, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of organic powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of natural flavoring oil (peppermint, spearmint or cinnamon work well)
- 1-2 teaspoons of chewing gum base (can also be substituted with gum arabic or chicle for a natural option)
You will also need tool such as a double boiler/saucepan, wooden spoon, parchment paper and gum molds.
- Melt the beeswax, coconut oil and gum base in a double boiler or saucepan.
- Stir gently until the ingredients have melted and combined.
- Add the powdered sugar to the mixture and continue to stir for a few minutes.
- Once everything is combined, take the mixture off the heat and add the flavoring oil.
- Continue to stir the mixture for another minute or until it becomes thick and sticky.
- Next, scoop the mixture into the gum molds, making sure to press down firmly to ensure there are no air pockets.
- Allow the gum to cool and harden for a few minutes before removing from the molds and wrapping in parchment paper.
Health Benefits of Making Your Own Gum
Many store-bought gums contain a variety of preservatives and additives that may not be suitable for everyone. By making your own gum, you can choose all-natural ingredients and avoid harmful additives such as aspartame, food coloring or artificial sweeteners. In addition, making your own gum can help promote oral health, as many natural gums contain xylitol, which has been found to prevent tooth decay and plaque buildup.
The Creativity Aspect
One of the most enjoyable aspects of making your own gum is the ability to experiment with different flavors and textures. If you prefer a fruity gum, you can try adding natural fruit extracts or juices. If you prefer a more savory gum, adding spices such as cinnamon or black pepper can provide a unique flavor. You can even try adding different colors or shapes to your gum to make it more visually appealing.
While making your own gum may require a few initial investments, such as purchasing gum base or molds, in the long run it can save you money. Store-bought gum can be quite expensive, especially if you consume it frequently. Making your own gum allows you to create larger quantities at once, which can save you time and money in the long run.
Making your own gum can also align with certain values and promote a healthier lifestyle. For example, if you follow a vegan diet, making your own gum ensures that no animal ingredients are used. Making your own gum also allows you to satisfy your sweet tooth and indulge in a treat without the guilt or negative impacts to your health.
Making your own gum can be a fun, creative and healthy alternative to store-bought gum. By using all-natural ingredients, you can create a unique gum that meets all of your dietary requirements. Experiment with different flavors and textures to create a gum that is truly your own. Don’t be afraid to try this simple recipe and enjoy the satisfaction of creating your own sweet treat.